Test Proctoring for Online Students
West Virginia State University’s proctoring policy for students taking a 100% online course allows the following three options:
- On-campus proctoring
- The professor may decide to proctor an exam at a time, date, and location specified in the course schedule. If you are able to come to campus to take the exam, then this should be your preferred proctoring method.
- If the date and time on the schedule is not possible, you may alternatively schedule an appointment for proctoring by calling the Center for Online Learning (COL) at 304-766-3300. The COL is open from Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and on some evenings. You must make an appointment at least two weeks in advance to allow the proctor time to communicate with the professor about how to administer the test. Make sure that you schedule a start time to allow you sufficient time to finish the exam before the center closes.
- Students with documented disabilities may also choose to schedule proctoring of their test by contacting Kellie Toledo (email@example.com) at the Disability Services Office. Appointments must be scheduled two weeks prior to the test date.
- The Military Student Services office (firstname.lastname@example.org) has personnel assigned who have agreed to proctor tests for military students and veterans by appointment. Appointments must be scheduled two weeks prior to the test date.
- Off-campus proctoring
If you have extenuating circumstances or are outside our service area, you may request a proctor from outside WVSU from the list below. Please note that a family member or friend cannot be an approved proctor. The request for an outside proctor must be submitted to the professor, three weeks prior to the test. Any outside proctor must be approved by the professor in advance and must agree to administer the test following the professor’s instructions.
Proctors may be selected from the following groups:
- A vocational rehabilitation counselor
- A faculty member or administrator at an accredited college or university
- A school superintendent, principal, or counselor
- A librarian at a public library
- A clergy member
- A commissioned or non-commissioned officer of higher rank than the student for military students
- A corporate education director
Off-Campus Proctor Approval Form
- On-line proctoring
WVSU has chosen ProctorU to provide online proctoring services for all online courses. With ProctorU, you may take your test at any time during the date range that the test is open from any computer.
Test-takers are responsible for meeting the following technical requirements in order to use ProctorU:
- A reliable computer running Windows XP (or higher) or Mac OS X 10 or higher
- A web cam with 640x480 video pixel resolution or higher.
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer.
- A working microphone connected to the computer. We recommend a web cam that has a built in microphone.
- A web browser with Adobe Flash Player installed.
- A reliable, high-speed Internet connection.
- The ability to allow video and screen-sharing connections to the computer used to take an exam.
ProctorU allows test-takers to take an exam on demand or by appointment. All appointments should be made at least three days in advance. To make an appointment, go to the WVSU portal for ProctorU, log in (or click on the Getting Started link if you do not have an account yet), click on the “schedule an exam” link, and select the exam, date, and time you desire. You will receive an email confirming your reservation at the email address you provided to ProctorU. All appointments should be made at least three days in advance in order to avoid premium scheduling charges. See the chart below for ProctorU pricing.
Proctor U Pricing
WVSU is not responsible for making any payments to ProctorU. Payment of all proctoring fees will be the obligation of the individual examinee. Any charges applicable to the examinee must be paid with a credit or debit card. The examinee will be required to enter payment information into a secure page connected to a third-party card processor. The page is encrypted and ProctorU does not see or store the credit card data. Examinees will have to re-enter payment information each time new charges are incurred.
||Take it Soon
||Take it Now
|30 Minutes or Less
|31 – 60 Minutes
|61 – 120 Minutes
|121 – 180 Minutes
|181 Minutes or More
Flex Scheduling allows an examinee to make an appointment at least 72 hours before the desired start time. However, at an additional cost, an examinee may choose Take it Soon or Take it Now options (+$5.00 and +$8.75 respectively). Take it Soon allows a test to be scheduled within 72 hours of the chosen start time; Take it Now allows a test to be taken on-demand with no appointment needed. These options are for the convenience of the examinee and are not required.
For more information about ProctorU, visit the WVSU portal for ProctorU.